Can I be real with y’all? Therapy for one hour once a week is not enough to heal. Any seasoned trauma or integrative therapist knows this to be true. At RISE, we encourage clients to go beyond the couch to truly heal. Talk therapy and other forms of psychotherapy are just one component of your healing journey. We love psychotherapy but we must admit that this is only one piece of puzzle.
What are the pieces of the puzzle for trauma survivors? In general, this includes a component that targets all areas of healing: cognitive, emotional, somatic, nutritional, spiritual, and communal. Therapy is most known for its cognitive and emotional impact; however, this is just the tip of the iceberg. There are many different modalities that can be used in a holistic approach to trauma healing.
Some Common Holistic Treatment Modalities for Trauma Treatment Include:
- Talk therapy: This type of therapy allows people to process their trauma in a safe and supportive environment. It can help them to understand their symptoms, develop coping mechanisms, and build resilience.
- Somatic therapy: Somatic Therapy focuses on the body’s response to trauma. It can help people to release stored tension and trauma in the body, and to reconnect with their felt sense of safety.
- Creative therapies: Creative therapies, such as art therapy, music therapy, and dance therapy, can help people to express their trauma in non-verbal ways. This can be a helpful way to process trauma that is too difficult to talk about.
- Mindfulness and meditation: Mindfulness and meditation can help people to become more aware of their thoughts, feelings, and bodily sensations. This can help them to manage their triggers and to develop a sense of inner peace.
- Support groups: Support groups can provide a safe space for people to connect with others who have shared similar experiences. This can help people to feel less alone and to learn from the experiences of others.
In addition to these specific modalities, there are many other things that people can do to support their holistic healing journey.
Additional Healthy Habits to Address Trauma From a Holistic Perspective Include:
- Establishing a healthy lifestyle: This includes eating a nutritious diet, getting regular exercise, and getting enough sleep. Taking care of one’s physical health can help to improve mental and emotional health as well.
- Building a supportive community: Having supportive relationships with friends, family, and other survivors of trauma can be essential for healing.
- Engaging in activities that bring joy and meaning to life: This could include spending time in nature, pursuing hobbies, or connecting with one’s spiritual side. Finding things that bring joy and meaning to life can help to balance out the challenges of healing.
Healing from trauma is a journey, and there is no one-size-fits-all approach. However, a holistic approach that addresses the whole person can be very effective. If you are a survivor of trauma, please know that you are not alone and that there is help available.
Begin Healing with Holistic Trauma Therapy in Baltimore, MD
Over the years, I have had the honor of helping resilient women find compassion for themselves and heal from trauma. If you’re ready to begin healing, please reach out to my therapy practice in Baltimore, MD for trauma therapy.
Other Services at Revitalizing Inner Self Essence
It is an honor of mine to work with strong and resilient women at my Baltimore, MD-based counseling practice. It is my priority to honor the life you’ve lived before walking through my doors and to help you find a future you love. All of my work is rooted in trauma therapy, whether you are seeking services as a survivor of domestic violence or homicide. I help women heal using a variety of skills including EMDR therapy and Mind-Body Medicine.